Where is the Real Good Music?

by 3:49 PM 0 comments
Where is the Real Good Music?




I grew up on an amazing array of music in my household. From Soul, Hip Hop, Pop, Gospel, R&B, Jazz, & Blues. When I was in High School, having a job opened my eyes to a whole new sound. I discovered the beautiful sound of Rock, Classic Sound, & even Opera.

Music has a special place in my heart but where is the with depth & realness? I appreciate all genres but it has been difficult to handle the teeny bop music of today.

R&B has been one genre that is very close to my soul & if the root of many sounds of today. R&B has changed very much so. The sound, the artists, the image. What happened to the groups? What happened to the radio play?

I do NOT like the music on the radio today. It is way too Pop & not enough realness. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the music but there is a clear disconnect & discrimination when it comes to radi play. When some artist have an urban sound or beat, they are simply being "soulful". What about artists like India Arie, Monica, Erykah Badu, Tyrese, Tweet, Jill Scott, Jazmine Sullivan? The list goes on & on. I never hear them getting any praise for their work.
That also falls in with the many "Hip Hop" artists that are clearly catering to the Pop audience & make a corny song just to be heard or get a hit on the radio.
Not to take away from artists like Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Iggy Azaela, or even Nicki Minaj but they are clearly more Pop music than Hip Hop. There are many artist out there that are rapping about real shit but aren't getting the credit where it is due.

There is a big disconnect in the industry when artists are rewarded at award shows for their work but other artists are overlooked just because they are not on the radio or playing into the "corporate" sound.

We need to set the bar much higher for what quality of sound reaches the airwaves. I can tolerate some of the music but let's get some more realness & soul in the sound we have today. We may never get the great music of the nineties again but dammit can they at least try?

#bringbackthemusic

Shaundell Newsome Jr.

Developer

Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor.